Monday, August 3, 2009

Week Eight: Tagging and Folksonomies

I explored del.icio.us to learn about tagging and social bookmarking. It is a popular tool with the largest number of subscribers according to an article I read in Connecticut Libraries "Social Bookmarking" by Daniela Solomon in the June 2009 issue. I visited the Delcious home page. There are fresh bookmarks, popular boomarks and tags. I visited each of these folders. The good feature of Delicious is that if you become a member you can access bookmarks from any computer whether at home, at work or elsewhere using tags. Instead of using folders Delicious uses tags. You can share with friends as every tag has an easy to remember URL. It is a free service. Now you can email or tweet your booksmarks directly from Delicious.

I explored Technorati to learn how tags work with blog posts. I viewed the About Us information. Technorati was the first blog search engine. It indexes millions of blogs. I looked at the Blog Directories, the Top 100 Blogs, the posted Photos, the Videos and listened to New Canaan High School videos posted by Michelle Luhtala, the Media Specialist at the school. She has met with the New Canaan Library's staff often and we admire her work with the students. I listened to her lession on VoiceThread Book Discussion. It is helpful to know about this blog search engine.

1 comment:

  1. Do you see how you could use technorati in your work? Or useful applications for delicious internally?

    ReplyDelete